view:  full / summary

Divers Rescue Survivor from Jascon 4 (Nigeria)

Posted by Amanda on June 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM Comments comments (58)

On Sunday 26 May, the tugboat Jascon 4 ran into difficulties whilst engaged in static towing operations, capsized and sank with a crew of 12 on board.

At the time, the tug was approx. 30 km off the coast of Escravos in Nigeria, offering assistance to a tanker being loaded at a Single Mooring System (SBM). The rescue operation involving helicopters and other vessels swung into action almost immediately. At that time, there was no trace of the crew members.

At the moment of the disaster, the Lewek Toucan, chartered by West African Ventures, with a team of DCN divers on board, was 17 hours sailing distance from the accident site. The team was involved in saturation diving work for the Okpoho-Okono 16 pipeline project being undertaken by DCN Diving in collaboration with DCN Global.

As Internet reports about the accident continued to develop, the realisation grew among the divers that there could still be survivors of the Jascon 4, trapped in an air pocket.

Direct contact between the client and the management of DCN Global resulted in the immediate order to head for the accident site and offer all possible assistance in finding the crew members.

The current operation was immediately halted, with divers from DCN actually in saturation at a pressure of 70 metres. The Jascon 4 had however sunk in 30 metre-deep water. The 17 hour sailing time was used to bring the divers to a saturation pressure of 30 metres. Once at the accident site, the divers discovered that the wreck was upside down, and the cook on board the Jascon 4 was indeed trapped in an air pocket in a still intact compartment. After 62 hours trapped in the air pocket, he was brought to the surface safe and well, by the divers from DCN.

This successful rescue raised hope among the DCN team that other live victims would perhaps be found, but further investigations sadly revealed only the remains of 10 deceased crew members.

The 6 divers, the deck crew and technical staff worked uninterrupted. They can be duly proud of the result of their work: 1 person rescued alive, and 10 crew members retrieved from the wreck. Even the retrieval of remains represents an important contribution to the mourning process for the victims’ families.

Source: Susbea World News

SusbeaSA would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the subsea personnel and deck crew onboard the Lewek Toucan for there outstanding efforts and commitment into making this rescue operation successful. Well done guys and keep up the good work.

Navy Divers Set National Record for Deepest Ocean Dive (India)

Posted by Amanda on February 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Comments comments (3)

The elite saturation divers of the Navy, set a new national record for the deepest ocean dive when they dived to 257 meters on 9th January in the Arabian Sea about 35 nautical miles off Kochi.

The Divers from INS Nireekshak – Lieutenant Malkeet Singh, Mukesh Kumar Leading Seaman, BS Bora Leading Seaman, Rithesh Kumar Leading Seaman, M Kumar Leading Seaman and Satender Sharma Leading Seaman exited on 19th January from the Diving Compression Chamber in the presence of their Commanding Officer, shipmates and their families. The divers, who were ensconced in the Deck Decompression Chamber (DCC) since 7th January in preparation for the dive, were decompressed in the DCC on completion of the record breaking dive. Earlier, divers from the same ship had dived to 233 meters in February 2011.

Saturation dive is a highly technical and niche field which helps in providing longer duration dives at deeper depths to carry out specific operations like submarine rescue or salvage. It involves complex support systems from the Diving Support Vessel to enable the divers to explore the final frontiers in physical and mental endurance. Water pressure increases by 1 kg/cm2 on increasing of depth by 10 meters each time. Other complications of deep dives include physiological problems of bubbles formed by gas throughout the body causing “decompression sickness” as the divers come up to water surface. Saturation divers inhale a mixture of helium and oxygen gases under pressure which is prepared and monitored by a team of specialists from the control station. The divers after being compressed to the required depth in the DCC are transferred under pressure to the diving bell through a tunnel arrangement. The Diving bell with the divers is then lowered into the sea. The divers are provided heated gas for breathing and hot water for maintaining body temperatures at those depths where it is pitch dark.

Commander Sandeep S Sarna, Commanding Officer of INS Nireekshak expressed satisfaction and pride at the achievement of his men saying that such endeavours at testing the frontiers provides them greater confidence for future operations. INS Nireekshak had recently participated in a submarine rescue exercise with the US Navy. The ship was also deployed to raise the fishing boat Don I which had sunk off the Kerala coast last year after a collision with a merchant ship.


Scuba diver dies off Sydney's northern beaches

Posted by Amanda on February 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM Comments comments (0)

A close-knit scuba diving community is in mourning after the death of one of its members during a "technical dive" off Sydney's northern beaches.

The 41-year-old man was pulled unconscious from the water at 8.30am on Saturday after getting into difficulty at a depth of about 60 metres at a wreck off Barrenjoey Headland.

He was put on board a Broken Bay Water Police vessel, where he was treated by a doctor and paramedic who had been lowered from a rescue helicopter.

However, the man could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the scene.


Sergeant Malcolm Jeffs, from the Police Diving Unit, says the man was with a group of seven other technical divers, who were devastated by the accident.

"The technical diving community is fairly close. I'm not sure how well they knew the person, but it's a very upsetting situation for all those involved," Sergeant Jeffs told reporters.

He said the group had been offered counselling services and were still being interviewed by police. Technical diving uses mixed gas combinations, which vary according to the depth of descent.

Sergeant Jeffs said the man's diving buddy conveyed him to the surface immediately after noticing he was in difficulty.

"Treatment appears to have been given as fast as possible. There's no indication that there was any delay in treatment or response to his situation."

Sergeant Jeffs said the police investigation was still in its infancy so it was not yet clear what had caused the death.

"We don't know whether it was equipment failure or some condition with him, so that's all part of the investigation that will be prepared and passed on to the coroner."

The man's family was yet to be informed, he said.

One of the divers who tried to help the man developed symptoms of decompression illness and was flown to the Prince of Wales Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition.

The man's diving gear has been seized for scientific examination.

Investigations are continuing and a report will be prepared for the coroner.


Source: The Sidney Morning Herald

Supervisor Fined!!

Posted by Amanda on February 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Comments comments (2)

The supervisor of a diving project at Ramsgate Royal Harbour Marina has been fined for failing to ensure a standby diver was ready to enter the water in the event of an emergency.Duncan Gill, from Dover, was working for a diving company contracted to undertake an underwater inspection of the marina on 26 September 2011 when concerns were raised about the standard of his operation by a fellow diving supervisor on a neighbouring quayside.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and found that the standby diver was not in a state of immediate readiness to provide assistance to the diver in the water.

The standby diver should have been fully dressed and kitted up to enter the water with his diving helmet in hand or close by. However, he was only in his dry suit, which put the diver in the water at serious risk had he required urgent assistance.

Canterbury Magistrates' Court heard today (5 February) that Mr Gill had previously been served with a Prohibition Notice by HSE in October 2010 for a similar failing as a diving supervisor. His employer, who does not want to be named, had spent time retraining and mentoring him before allowing him to continue in his role, but Mr Gill ignored the guidance given.

Duncan Gill, of London Road, Dover, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,000 in costs after pleading guilty to a single breach of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997.

After the hearing, HSE Inspector Bill Chilton said:

"The diving supervisor has a critical role to play in ensuring that a dive is conducted in such a way that the safety of the divers in the water is protected at all times.

"It is reasonably foreseeable that a diver may require urgent assistance from a standby diver should an emergency unfold, and therefore, the standby diver should be ready and able to enter the water in seconds.

"Yet that did not happen on Mr Gill's watch, and this clearly compromised safety. He should have known better having previously been warned about his conduct as a supervisor, but he ignored the trust, training and guidance of his employer to repeat the same failings."

Further information on diving safety can be found online at

Notes to editors

1.The Health and Safety Executive is Britain's national regulator for workplace health and safety. It aims to reduce work-related death, injury and ill health. It does so through research, information and advice; promoting training; new or revised regulations and codes of practice; and working with local authority partners by inspection, investigation and enforcement.

2.Regulation 10(1)(i) of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 states: "The supervisor shall, in respect of the diving operation for which he has been appointed as supervisor, ensure that it is carried out, so far as is reasonably practicable, without risk to the health and safety of all those taking part in that operation and of other persons who may be affected thereby."

Source: HSE

Hallin Penrith Sinks Offshore Myanmar

Posted by Amanda on January 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM Comments comments (0)

Hallin Marine has confirmed that its offshore support vessel Penrith sunk last week off the coast of Myanmar. In an e-mail sent to Offshore Energy Today, the company informed that all 42 crew members were rescued.

Hallin said that there were no injuries to personnel other than two minor first-aid cases caused by the initial impact.

“All safety procedures were implemented following the incident, our Emergency Response team is on site and will remain so until the situation has stabilised. We are convening an internal enquiry with the assistance of third-party specialists to establish exactly what happened,” the company said.

“Notwithstanding the fact that the inquiry is still in progress to determine the full facts, it initially appears that Penrith hit a rock while traveling at 10 knots offshore Myanmar.”


Offshore Energy Today

January 23, 2013

Explosion Erupts on Gulf of Mexico Platform

Posted by Amanda on December 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM Comments comments (0)

A fire occurred on an offshore oil and natural gas platform in West Delta Block 32 in the Gulf of Mexico Friday injuring several people, reported Houston’s KHOU TV, citing the U.S. Coast Guard. The fire has been extinguished.

According to the news station, four people were airlifted to a nearby hospital and were in critical condition. Two more people are said to be missing following the tragedy on the platform – operated by Houston-based and privately-owned Black Elk Energy Co.

Black Elk did not respond to requests for comment.

The Coast Guard has reported that production was not flowing from the well and at least 26 to 28 people had been aboard the platform. The workers were cutting into a line on the platform when sparks from a torch hit a storage tank, which then exploded, resulting in a two-by-a-quarter mile oil sheen around the site. The platform is located around 17 miles offshore Grand Isle, Louisiana in 21 feet of water.

The Coast Guard has activated a “command center” to investigate the incident, consisting of two helicopter teams, one from Mobile, Alabama and one from New Orleans to help with the search, reported KHOU. The government agency also called in two small boat stations out of Grand Isle and Venice to assist.

Black Elk hasn’t filed a recent work permit or exploration plan for that block. The most recent plan filed for the block WD 32 was Aug. 30, 2010 for Maritech to remove platform Caisson 3.

Source: C-diver

Human Error Behind North Sea Collision

Posted by Amanda on December 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM Comments comments (3)

A collision that killed five sailors and sank the Baltic Ace car carrier on Wednesday evening was probably caused by a human error, Reuters informs citing Panagiootis Kakoliris, operations manager at Stamco Ship Management Co., Ltd. which managed the sunken ship.

The weather conditions were normal at the time of the collision, according to Dutch Defence Ministry and Greek manager. Mr. Kakoliris also excluded the possibility of a technical failure of the car carrier indicating that Baltic Ace was just five years old and that it had past the inspection in August.

The Dutch coastguard have located the wreck some 25-30 metres near the Noord Hinder shipping route.

Since the sinking lasted only 15 minutes it is assumed that the Baltic Ace was hit in the side and because of that a large amount of water entered the ship so fast.

The Corvus J owner, a German shipping company Juengerhans has offered its full cooperation into the investigation, but it did not comment or indicate a possible cause of the collision.

Due to bad weather conditions the chance of finding any of the six missing sailors are very slim, the Dutch coastguard said.

source: World Maritime news.

East Africa seen as new frontier for gas

Posted by Amanda on October 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM Comments comments (0)

East Africa seen as new frontier for gas

Johannesburg - East Africa has emerged as the new frontier for natural gas production, boosted by offshore discoveries in Mozambique, Tanzania and Madagascar, an Ernst & Young report said on Tuesday.


According to the audit firm's report, "the most dynamic recent developments in the African natural gas sector have been in East Africa," despite most of the major players coming from further north.


In the last five years, energy firms including Italy's ENI and US group Anadarko Petroleum have reported several large-scale offshore gas finds in northern Mozambique's Rovuma basin and Mamba fields.


Recoverable gas reserves in Rovuma is estimated at three trillion cubic meters, the report said.


Leading global oil groups are getting in on the act as discoveries in Madagascar and Kenya have upped the ante.


In Tanzania, BG Group, Ophir Energy, Statoil and ExxonMobil have all found "major gas deposits."


The report described east Africa as the "next epicentre" for global natural gas, something which was "non-story" ten years ago.


"With the huge recent discoveries in offshore East Africa (in particular, Mozambique and Tanzania), the future of African gas is, however, expected to shift eastward," said the report.


Gas production in Africa since 2000 has been growing by about 4% per year, with exports destined for the Asian market.


"African gas production reached about 203 bcm (billion cubic metres) in 2011, with production led by Algeria, Egypt and Nigeria, collectively accounting for more than 88% of the continent's total," it said.


The report also noted untapped shale gas resources in South Africa which have been the subject of a controversial debate.


Environmentalists opposed exploration in the vast semi-arid region of Karoo, in the northern Cape, prompting the government to impose a moratorium on the technique known as fracking. The freeze was lifted last month however.


According to consultants Wood Mackenzie, the ease of access to Asian markets and a break-even point that is substantially lower than rival Australia could help natural gas exports.

News 24

Offshore workers Kidnapped - Nigeria

Posted by Amanda on October 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Comments comments (4)

Offshore vessels owner Bourbon today confirmed that 7 crew members, 6 Russians and 1 Estonian were kidnapped during the boarding of the Bourbon Liberty 249, which occurred on October 15, 2012 in Nigeria.

The other 9 crew members are still onboard the vessel which is heading for the Port of Onne. They are safe and sound, and in good health.

“The emergency unit set up immediately by BOURBON has been set up to aim at their rapid liberation under the safest security conditions,” said the company said in a statement

Crew abducted from ship operated by France's Bourbon


* Piracy growing off West Africa's oil-rich coast


Oct 17 (Reuters) - Pirates off the coast of Nigeria kidnapped six Russians and an Estonian during an attack on their ship on Monday, the French company operating the vessel said on Wednesday.


Another nine crew members were safe after the ship reached the Nigerian port of Onne in the oil-rich Niger Delta, said a spokeswoman for Bourbon, which supplies vessels to the offshore oil industry.


Pirate attacks are on the rise in the Gulf of Guinea, which is second only to the waters around Somalia for piracy.


Attackers usually seize boats to steal their cargo then free the crew. Kidnappings for ransom also take place in the waters around the delta, the heart of Africa's biggest energy industry.


Pirates freed a Greek-operated gasoline tanker earlier this month that they had hijacked in the Gulf of Guinea near Ivory Coast. Fuel ships are a favourite target.


In August pirates attacked a Greek-operated oil tanker with a crew of about 20 off the coast of Togo. They released the ship a few days later after stealing 3,000 tonnes of fuel.


Nigerian navy spokesman Commodore Kabir Aliyu said his forces were searching for the pirates involved in Monday's attack. (Reporting by Patrick Vignal; Additional reporting by Tife Owolabi in Yenagoa; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Bibby Topaz Incident

Posted by Amanda on September 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM Comments comments (1)

On 19th September...

North Sea

This is from diver onboard

Quick update for you all, Flakey was almost right but a few facts need clarifying:-

Both divers were outside the structure, looks like diver 1's umbilical got a turn around a external transponder bucket on side of structure when run off occurred. Vessel ran off 180 mts and did indeed part his umbilical. It took 26 mins to get the vessel back to over the structure, although the ROV had located him well before that, Chris the diver in question said he knew to try and conserve his gas even though he was freezing to death. He doesn't remember slipping into unconsciousness it just happened. It has been worked out that in total it took 46 mins to get him back in the bell, after 2 breaths by the bellman he started breathing on his own, he even stood up and out the way on his own steam to help in getting the bottom door down, once his breathing was restored he recovered quite quickly so they proceeded to start and warm him once the door was down and the bell was on its way up. (he was blue when they removed his hat). Diver 2 and the bellman were very professional in all of this as was the dive supervisor Craig Frederick, the lads themselves said Graig kept them focused and preempted everything.

Chris the diver climbed out of the bell and into the TL on his own steam and was warmed up further in the TL using the shower and wrapping him in towels, once stabilised he was transferred to the chamber. He appears to of made a full recovery and we have all been taking the piss at the lengths some people will go to for a short bellrun. ( obviously to try and lighten what was a very somber mood ) Chris has been very very very lucky. It brings it home just how quickly things can go pear shaped. The DP system is the prime suspect as the bridge said they had no control during the whole run off, that is being investigated with a fine toothcombe and we are all being decompressed as the investigation will be thorough and exhaustive time and getting back to work are not ab issue... I'll try and let you all know any outcomes when and if we find out !!

This and more:


Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.